With the all the different technologies and security systems that are available today, it’s hard for people to know what is the best solution for their security system needs. There are so many options when it comes to home security and interactive services that it can be an overwhelming decision. Especially when there are so many security companies that all claim to have the best security equipment and service.
So what separates them all? What is the best security system for you? What information do you need to make the right decision when choosing a security system? All valid questions. With all the advertisements on TV and the Internet, it’s easy to be a victim of great marketing. My goal is to make sure that doesn’t happen. In today’s article, we will tackle these questions and give you an unbiased point of view to attempt to find the best security system for you.
At the end of this article there is a nice summary that you can reference.
When it come to choosing the best alarm system there are some key points that you want to cover. Even though there are many needs that people will have in common, there are also many features that may benefit you but not your neighbor.
Let’s start with the common factors that will benefit most homes and families. No matter what your needs are, the most important thing to do when choosing a security system is asking the right questions.
Talking to a professional security consultant that has your priorities in mind can be a huge help. By choosing the right person and working with the right security company you are more likely to pick the right alarm system. Let’s talk
about finding the right solution for you and your family’s needs.
Comparing Security Companies and Services for Alarm Systems
What separates all the different companies? When it comes to home security, there are a few things that you want. First, you want to work with a reputable security system company. Most people think by getting the best deal on the equipment and alarm monitoring they made the best decision. That’s really only half true. Even though those items are important there are some other qualities to consider that go beyond the initial cost of home alarm systems.
Make sure that you are going to be a priority after installation. You want to have access to a human being and you want to have things fixed in a timely manner if something happen. You want to sure that your issues will always be resolved in a timely manner.
Some company’s don’t focus on customer service. Often, you cant even talk the same person more than once. Some company’s get too large for people who want to build a relationship with their security providers. On the other hand, some local security companies focus on being a part of the community. Finding the right balance is important to make sure your not sacrificing your security or customer service.
Security Dealer Companies and Local Security Companies
Finding the best system comes down to the company just as much as the equipment, sometimes even more. When your dealing with a large organization with hundreds of security dealers, like ADT Security, it’s important to know who you are doing business with. We spoke about this in a previous article a while back. If you do a quick Google search on their reviews you will see that there are some people who love their service and many others who feel the exact opposite.
A dealership business model is very different than local security system company. It doesn’t mean that it’s bad, it does mean you should know who the actual company that will be installing your system. Most security dealer programs are designed to make a sale, install the system, and sell there customers to corporate. When this happens, things can change. There’s a reason why you’ll see so many locations in Indianapolis. They are different companies providing a similar service. Often, they are competing with themselves, or their corporate sales office.
With a local security company that handles the service side of their client’s for the long term, like All About Security, customer service becomes more important. Why? Often, they can’t afford not to go the extra mile to make sure their client’s service is better than the big names. There are local organizations that want to be different than the corporate versions. Building a strong relationship with their community is one way of making sure they will be around in the long term. Without things like service, a company becomes nothing more than a commodity. Most people expect more.
You can tell a lot more about a company after having a service issue. With a solid installation and good equipment, you may never have a problem. If you do have a problem you will see the true colors of the organization you are dealing with. Service issues aren’t that uncommon, with any technology it can happen, often it’s because of human error. A great security company won’t pass the buck and deal with the issue in a timely manner.
Alarm monitoring isn’t the same with all security companies. It’s not enough for alarm companies to claim their monitoring is 24 hours a day. Most places will boast that they have the best monitoring available but only about 5% of alarm monitoring companies are recognized with the prestigious 5 Star Diamond certification and UL listed.
Why is that important?
Well, they have strict guidelines and random inspections. Hopefully, you will never need them but when you do you don’t want to count on a Company that answers calls and offers answering services, you want someone that will be there when you need them! If you aren’t happy with your alarm monitoring don’t stay with the same company.
What is a Wireless Security System? (You may be surprised)
With all the different prices make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Wireless security does not mean you don’t need a phone line. That is the top mistake I hear when talking to people. It means that there aren’t wires being run through your home. There still is a wire to make sure that the technician can tap into an outlet. A lot of people don’t know that security without a phone line is safer. And let’s face it, traditional phone lines are going away.
Even people who think they have a land line may not. If it is broadband or DSL, some providers will accept it. Ask yourself, what happens when my internet goes out? I don’t ever recommend using a phone line for your home or business security. Not necessarily because the bad guys can cut your line, although that is a small possibility, but because phones lines aren’t as dependable as they used to be. If you want any home automation your phone line, generally, won’t matter. Those types of service will require a special cell card and/or the internet.
Home Security Equipment and Services
Once you find the best security company you will want to make sure you have the right alarm system equipment for your home and family. Many people think that there security company manufactures the alarm equipment. That isn’t true. Even the biggest names in the industry use equipment from a separate company.
It is true that different companies use different security systems. Some are even private label, meaning the security company will throw there name on the equipment to make it look like they manufactured the system. Again, they didn’t! The good news is that most security system companies purchase the same 3 or 4 brands that have similar features. Some of the different systems have better features than others and that’s what you’re looking for.
Top 3 features to look for in the best security systems:
- In my opinion, making sure the security panel has the ability to be upgraded is the most important. We call this “Future-Proof”. By using software based alarm panels your home security will be able to stay relevant in the future. Doesn’t mean you went ever upgrade your system but it does mean you won’t have to upgrade your security system to get additional services. This isn’t the case with all security company’s equipment. Make sure your asking your security consultant about this key feature.
- Having the ability to add on additional services and equipment in the future. As technology changes, there may be a something you don’t want today, but will need tomorrow. By having this option you don’t have to purchase every additional add on at the time of installation. In fact, we tell our clients not to buy it all at once. Sounds crazy for a business, right? Well, we know that buying the right system and knowing how to use it to it’s capacity will keep people happier for a longer time. You want to have a system that you can add on to.
- Having additional features other than intrusion detection. Today’s home security should have more than protection from break ins. The ability to access your alarm remotely from your smartphone, fire protection, and some type of service that will benefit your lifestyle. By having an additional feature that you will use everyday also ensure that you won’t stop using your security system. Too many people don’t use their security service on a daily basis. It doesn’t matter how great your security is if you don’t use it every day.
There are other things that will be important to you when shopping for your security alarm system but these 3 are things I wouldn’t consider compromising on. Having the best of anything really comes down to what’s best for you. Don’t worry about what is important to the salesperson, or your neighbors. Having the best system means having security that custom designed for your home, and for your needs. That’s why smart home security is quickly replacing traditional alarms.
Remember, all security systems aren’t the same. To get the best security platform for your home and family, first and foremost, deal with the right alarm company. Second, follow the tips described in this post. Every person, every property, and every situation is different but there are key features that the best systems have in common. Don’t waste your money on a traditional alarm system and invest in an affordable smart home security system with the right services for you. Even though we are a business, our business model is based on finding the best solution for our client’s. Our goal is to help people have a safer and better life. If you ask the right questions and do a little bit of research you can make sure your getting the best value and residential security available.
Recap and Additional Benefits:
- Software Based Alarm Panel – older security alarms were hardware based. That means the only way you could upgrade your system was to buy a new one. With smart home security, your system has firmware updates to keep it from never going outdated.
- Low Price Guarantee – some of the attributes are more about the company that is providing you the system and service. By offering a price matching guarantee, you can make sure you’re getting the best value available.
- A Satisfaction Guarantee – any company that offers a trial period believes in their product more than a company who doesn’t. Make sure your security system provider offers a trial period. If you aren’t satisfied with their equipment or service you don’t want to be stuck in a lengthy contract. This also ensures that you won’t have buyers remorse or be pressured into a purchase you aren’t ready to make.
- Affordable Future Upgrades – we’ve mentioned this before but it’s important enough to mention again. Yu want to have the ability to add on future services and products at affordable prices. Technology moves quickly and if the next best thing becomes available a week from now this will make sure you can get it at a later date.
- Customer Service After the Sale – How many times have you dealt with a great salesperson who tells you how they have the best service just to find out that their service is terrible? I know it’s happened to me more than once. You can call the alarm company’s customer service number to see if you have to wait on hold. Ask them how they deal with service issues as well. You can tell a lot more about a company by how they deal with an issue. Just look at some reviews with some of the biggest security dealers. And last but not least, ask for some testimonials or customer reviews. People will complain about a company a lot quicker than praise them. You can’t keep everyone happy but if you see a trend you may want to rethink your decision.
Join our community on Facebook and sign for our blog to get more informative articles and tips for free. We truly appreciate your time and we are always here to answer your questions. If you would like to learn more about secure smart home services call 317.559.3500. You’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Until next time, stay safe and informed Indianapolis!